the site uses internet protocol (“ip”) addresses to analyze trends, administer the site, track user movements, and gather broad demographic information for aggregate use. an internet service provider ("isp") typically assigns a random dynamic ip address at the time of your dial-up. for local area network ("lan"), dsl, or cable modem users, a static ip address may be permanently assigned to a particular computer. we may record the ip addresses of visitors to the site. while an ip address may reveal your isp or geographic area, we cannot determine your identity solely based upon your ip address. however, we may link ip addresses to personally identifiable information you provide through the site.
e. information you provide to a third party
f. data collected from product monitoring apps
briggs & stratton offers apps that collect and display information about internet-connected briggs & stratton products (“product monitoring apps”). for example, briggs & stratton might offer a product monitoring app that collects information from an internet-connected generator purchased from briggs & stratton. if you download a product monitoring app and register on that app an internet-connected briggs & stratton product that you use or that you have purchased, the product monitoring app may collect data about that product, such as usage data. for example, in the case of an internet-connected generator, the app might collect information about how many hours per week the generator runs. if you also provide personal information to the product monitoring app, e.g., your name or your address, then the app may link data collected from the product with your personal information. if the data from the product is linked to personal information, we will treat that data as personal information too.
some product monitoring apps may collect data about the physical location of your internet-connected briggs & stratton products. briggs & stratton will not combine location data with personal information without informing you under a separate policy or notice. as such, briggs & stratton will not treat location data as personal information unless such location data is combined with personal information or unless required by applicable law.
in addition to the reasons described below, the purpose for which we collect information through the product monitoring apps is to provide you information about your internet-connected briggs & stratton products, and so that we can improve such products and related services. briggs & stratton is the sole and exclusive owner of any information it collects, receives or creates relating to its apps that is not personal information (e.g. such as technical data and analytics data), and it will use, store, process, share and disclose such information for any purposes, subject to applicable law.
2. the purposes for which we use the information we collect
we use the information we collect to serve our customers and improve their experience at the site. some examples include:
- fulfilling orders and requests for products, services or information
- tracking and confirming online orders
- improving customer service
- marketing and advertising products and services
- conducting research and analysis
- establishing and managing your accounts with us
- communicating about special events, sweepstakes, promotions and surveys
- identifying you on our site and tailoring messages and offers to you based on your interactions with us online
- facilitating interactions with briggs & stratton and others, such as enabling you to email a link to a friend or post a link on facebook
- continuously evaluating and improving our online user experience
- compliance with the law or to protect the rights, property, or safety of briggs & stratton, our users, or others, including to maintain network and information security, for fraud prevention, and to report suspected criminal acts
surveys and contests
from time-to-time our site requests information from users via surveys or contests. participation in these surveys or contests is completely voluntary, and you therefore have a choice whether or not to disclose this information. information requested may include contact information (such as name and shipping address) and demographic information (such as zip/post code or age level). contact information will be used to notify the winners and award prizes. survey information will be used for purposes of monitoring or improving the use of, and your satisfaction with, this site.
3. how we share the information we collect
we do not sell, rent or trade your personal information to third parties. the following are some of the ways we share your personal data:
- briggs & stratton entities: briggs & stratton, or its subsidiaries or affiliates, are the owners of related brands, including but not limited to, snapper, simplicity, brute, murray, and victa. as such, if you provide information on any of the websites owned or operated by briggs & stratton, or its subsidiaries or affiliates, this information may be combined or shared among other current or future briggs & stratton entities, including subsidiaries and affiliates.
- third-party service providers: we also may share your information with third-party service providers under contract with briggs & stratton, or its subsidiaries or affiliates, to help us provide services to you. such third-party service providers include, for example, credit card payment processors, email marketers, website analytics providers, and chat communications providers.
- partners: we also may share your information with third parties who sell products or services that we believe might be of interest to you, such as independent dealers who sell our products and services, distributors who distribute our products to dealers, and other merchant partners who, for example, provide related products and services, such as gardening equipment or supplies.
- consent: we may disclose personal information with third parties if requested or consented to by you, or in the event the information is used in a form in which you are not identified.
- required disclosures: sometimes we may be required to share personal information in a court proceeding, or in response to a court order, subpoena, civil discovery request, other legal process, or as otherwise required by law.
- legal compliance and protections: we may disclose account and other personal information when we believe disclosure is necessary to comply with the law or protect the rights, property, or safety of briggs & stratton, its subsidiaries or affiliates, our users, or others. this includes exchanging information with other companies and organizations for fraud protection and credit risk reduction.
- corporate transactions: we reserve the right to disclose and transfer your information, including your personal information:
- to a subsequent owner, co-owner, or operator of the site or successor database.
- in connection with a corporate merger, consolidation, the sale of substantially all of our membership interests and/or assets or other corporate change, including to any prospective purchasers.
children’s online privacy protection
we do not collect any information from anyone under 13 years of age. our site, products and services are all directed to people who are at least 13 years old or older. if you are under the age of 13, you are not authorized to use this site. if a country has a higher age for juvenile online privacy protections, we will not collect data from any minor in that country who is younger than the minimum age requirement.
4. how we protect the information we collect
we work to secure your personal information from being lost, accessed, used, modified, or disclosed by/to unauthorized persons. during transmission of personal information between you and our site, we use secure sockets layer (ssl) software to encrypt information you input. during the order process, we reveal only the last four digits of your credit card number when confirming an order. the entire credit card number is, of course, submitted to the appropriate credit card company during order processing, but we do not store your credit card information on our servers.
all of our users' information is restricted in our offices. only employees who need the information to perform a specific job (for example, a customer service representative) are granted access to personally identifiable information. all employees with access to personal information are kept up-to-date on our security and privacy practices. after a new policy is added, these employees are notified and/or reminded about the importance we place on privacy, and what they can do to enhance protection for our customers' information. finally, the servers that we use to store personally identifiable information are kept in a secure, restricted access area.
it is important for you to protect against unauthorized access to your password and to your computer. be sure to close your browser after you have completed your visit to the site.
please note that despite our reasonable efforts, no security measure is ever perfect or impenetrable, so we cannot guarantee the security of your personal information.
5. how long we keep your personal information
we will retain your information for as long as your account is active or as needed to provide you services, comply with our legal obligations, resolve disputes, and enforce our agreements.
6. your choices regarding your personal information
you may choose to:
- stop receiving marketing or promotional emails by clicking the unsubscribe link in the email
- update, delete and correct personal information in your account or by contacting us. we will update, delete and correct your personal information as required by applicable law.
7. information specific to your region
for the state of california, please read the information below.
assistance for the disabled
alternative formats of this privacy statement are available to individuals with a disability. please contact us by email for assistance.
whose personal information is covered by this california section?
this california section only applies to the personal information of residents of the u.s. state of california in their capacity as consumers (“california consumers”).
“consumer” does not include briggs & stratton’s employees, job applicants, owners, directors, officers, medical staff members, or contract workers (collectively, “hr individuals”), or the emergency contacts of hr individuals or the dependents or spouses who receive briggs & stratton benefits by virtue of their relationship to an hr individual in their capacities as hr individuals or emergency contacts, dependents, or spouses.
“consumer” also does not include employees or other agents of a business engaged in a transaction with briggs & stratton in their capacities as employees or agents of that business.
what is personal information for the purposes of this california section?
for purposes of this california section, “personal information” means information that identifies, relates to, describes, is capable of being associated with, or could reasonably be linked, directly or indirectly, with a particular california consumer or household.
what personal information does this california section cover?
this california section applies to all personal information of california consumers collected by briggs & stratton, disclosed by briggs & stratton for business purposes, or sold by briggs & stratton, regardless of whether the personal information is collected, disclosed or sold through briggs & stratton’s website.
a. how we collect the personal information of california consumers